Google Earth 5 for Linux crashes. You can solve this problem by renaming libcrypto.so.0.9.8 to something else. But be careful, there are probably more than one file with this name on your hard disk drive.
Be sure, the file you rename resides in the
Do the following:
find / -xdev -name "libcrypto.so*" | grep google
change into the directory you found above, and rename the
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 file into
cd <googleearth directory> mv libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.0.9.8.nouse
Another problem may be, your google installation claims you don’t have an appropriate driver installed. Most likely the
libGl.so library can’t be found by googleearth, and so it thinks you don’t have on OpenGL capable GFX card running, or you didn’t installed the graphics drivers for you card correctly.
This can happen, if you’ve e.g. followed the instructions on this site and installed new non-repository Nvidia driver in order to use the new VDPAU functionality (hardware accelerated H.264 decoding (MPEG4/AVC))
You can solve this problem by removing the manually installed driver and install the newest Nvidia driver (180.27) from a experimental repository.
Remove the old driver first by:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.25-pkg2.run --uninstall
and add this line into
## nvidia deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/anders-kaseorg/ubuntu intrepid main
Perform an apt-get update and a
apt-cache search nvidia | egrep -i "(180|vdpau)"
and install the repos from your search result.
Restart KDE or Gnome.
I didn’t manage to compile mplayer-vdpau. It gave me a lot of errors. But I could still use the previously compiled mplayer-vdpau.
As soon as I know what’s wrong with the compilation, I will report back, because I intent to use the Nvidia driver from the repo, since it’s the cleanest way.
Please consider, that I’m using a x86_64 Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, and that the described Howto might not work for you, and your distro.
I had trouble to compile mplayer-vdpau-3402051 since I installed the new binary Nvidia driver 180.27 from repository (see above).
I’ve found how to fix the problem, but I don’t have the slightest clue, what causes this mistake.
I’ve simply deleted in libvo/vo_vdpau.c all behind line 1339. All below seems to be double.
If you don’t have more lines than this, then your code isn’t affected I think.
This is what I got on the command line:
libvo/vo_vdpau.c: At top level: libvo/vo_vdpau.c:1412: error: redefinition of 'info' libvo/vo_vdpau.c:72: error: previous definition of 'info' was here libvo/vo_vdpau.c:1419: error: redefinition of 'video_out_vdpau' libvo/vo_vdpau.c:79: error: previous definition of 'video_out_vdpau' was here
And here’s the full compilation output.