Alan fixed the Segmentation Fault issue for CoreAVC version 188.8.131.52, so Matroska files can be played back again. See this thread at his project site: #62
Unfortunately AVCHD has still issues. So CoreAVC version 184.108.40.206 still doesn’t work regarding playback of AVCHD footage from my Canon HF100. I think Panasonic HDC-SD1/5/9/100 is also affected.
If you have a at least 2.7GHz processor, you can use the latest mplayer from their repository.
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
compile and install it:
make && make install
Play back footage from Canon’s HF100 (PAL) like this:
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -fps 50 -ao sdl -vo xv -lavdopts threads=3:fast:skiploopfilter=all your-canon-hf100-footage-here.mts
If you are using a NTSC version, you’ve got to use -fps 60 or if you recorded progressively, try -fps 24000/1001. I didn’t try this [FIXME], it’s possible it has no effect, since according to CoreCodec’s forum Canon’s HF100(FIXME link) records progressive (non-interlaced) content also in a interlaced container. Just try a few values.
Play back footage from Panasonic HDC-SD1/5/9/100 like this:
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -demuxer lavf -ao sdl -vo xv -lavdopts threads=3:fast:skiploopfilter=all your-panasonic-hdc-sd100-footage-here.mts
If you encounter jitter, jerky playback, try to add a deinterlacing option, such as:
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -demuxer lavf -ao sdl -vo xv -lavdopts threads=3:fast:skiploopfilter=all your-camcorder-footage-here.mts -vf pp=fd
threads parameter should be set to something like number_of_CPU_cores + 1 or 2. But don’t expect the current mplayer to utilize all cores in parallel a lot, regarding AVCHD content. It makes more sense playing back Matroska (.mkv) content, or generally speaking: content being encoded with x264.
-ao sdl option is useful, if you suffer from a broken sound output. Use
sdl as audio output option if your sound start to clatter in a high way.
There’s also a sync problem sometimes. Unfortunately I haven’t found a working solution yet. If you also had an audio sync problem, and you’ve managed to solve it, please let me know. I’ve been looking thru the whole internet 😉 twice, but couldn’t find a working solution for me.
-vo xv is the only video output option that can be used. Having attached two monitors and running a nvidia in a TwinView mode can cause excessive tearing if you didn’t choose the right monitor to synchronize with (see
nvidia-settings -> X Video tab ). This and even the Sync to VBlank switch could even be ignored by the nvidia driver. The only solution I found so far, is simply to detach the monitor you don’t need (Pull the plug). OpenGL obeys to the nvidia settings, but the output is dead-slow. So OpenGL (
-vo gl or
gl2) is a no-go option.